Soy protein fibre (SPF) is the only plant protein fibre. It is made from the soybean cake. The residue after extraction of the protein is used as stockfeed. SPF has the physical properties of synthetic fibres. Fabrics from SPF have the following features:
- Lustre. Soybean protein fibre has the lustre of silk with excellent drape.
- Comfort. The fibre is soft, smooth and lightweight.
- Absorbency. Soybean protein fibre has the same moisture absorption as cotton and better moisture transmission than cotton.
- Easy dying. The original colour of soybean protein fibre takes dye well and is colour fast.
- Strength. Soybean protein fibre has higher breaking strength than wool, cotton, and silk, but less than polyester fibre.
- Shrinkage. Soybean protein fibre will not shrink when washed in boiling water.
- Easy care. The fabric is anti-crease, easy wash and fast drying.
- Antibacterial.; Soybean protein fibre has antibacterial properties that resist colibacillus, staphylococcus aureus and candica albicans. Fabrics made from soy protein fibre and linen or other fibres are ideal for functional underwear and summer wear.
Now tell me, would you want anything else next to your baby soft skin? Not me...I am off to find more wonderful things to wear from this natural miracle fabric.