Monday, December 28, 2009

Metal Hinge Bag Fiasco....


Yesterday I tried to make a pattern and bag...the result was a disaster:


Andy Lyle responded via CABT with the following.  I am going to try it with scrap fabric.  Here is what she says:

I'm sorry, I don't have anything posted to show how I put the leather in. I do have a blog: http://andylylestreasures.blogspot.com/. I'll try to put something on there about the leather lacing soon. In the meantime, I bought the leather lacing at Wal-Mart. I've also seen it at Michaels, Hobby Lobby and on line. I used it in making my Black Suede Little Bag (see a picture of it here with my photos).

When I was working with the first of my flat frame wallets, I decided to try to use something to wedge the fabric into the frame. The leather is what I had handy. Dan at 3DPatternPaper (at Etsy) offers paper rope for the same purpose.

The way I do it is this:

1. Trim the fabric to fit the shape of the frame.
2. Cut a length of leather lacing to the length of the frame opening.
3. Mark the fabric to show where it should fit into the frame to insure that it's place correctly.
4. When ready, using Gutemran's or UHU glue put a bead of glue in a section of the frame.
5. Place the fabric for that section in the frame with the help of something you will use to poke it in (I used my craft sissors, an awl would be good, too.)
6. Place the leather lacing for that section on top of the fabric and cram it in to secure the fabric in the frame. If the fabric stays loose after that, you'll need to crimp the frame. That will depend on the thickness of your fabric and the size of the frame opening.
7. Complete the rest of the frame.
8. After the glue has completely dried, using a craft knife, trim any of the fabric that extends from the edge of the leather lacing.

I hope this helps.

I also found another way to get to the Uhandbag directions. They're at this site: http://www.box.net/shared/869jey4eat. I'm also going to post the pdf copy of it.


Soooo...I'm off to try Andy's technique.  Will post pictures tonight......if I can get my finger unstuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enjoy and be sure to leave a comments so I know you have stopped by:)