Monday, February 15, 2010

This is Buchtein!

A lovely lady in Austria named Sardana posted this photo on Flikr....
 
I went ran all the way to her blog and got the recipe.....click on the link and scroll down to February 11th....   I had a little trouble understanding how to convert some of the measurements, and  I am not confident in doinking around with pastry or bread recipes.   It appeared very much like an egg bread recipe I use so I went with it.  Just added a bit of vanilla in place of the vanilla sugar and then the lemon zest. 

Here is my recipe:  

3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup water
2 egg yolks
zest of small lemon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 3/4 cups flour
3 tablespoons  sugar
1 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons active dry yeast

and then follow Sardana's tehnique for forming the rolls.
Let them rise 45-60 min or until doubled then
bake about 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
 
I thought it would be a splendid idea to use Mandarin Orange Jam/Jelly made locally from the fabulous mandarins grown nearby. 

Roll out the dough....
Cut into twelve squares...and put a teaspoon of marmalade or jam in center then pinch it closed.    
Brush with  butter, cover with dish towel and let rise in warm spot (I let it rise for about an hour)
Sardana's instructions have much shorter rising times than I am used to.  I find that altitude has a marked effect on rising times.......breads rise in one-third the time noted for lower altitudes.  Considering she is in Salzburg this accounts for the shorter time.
 
Bake 'em up and dust with powdered sugar.  When you get a whiff of the fragrance, just try to stay out of the (or keep DH's hands off)....we had to eat one right away.  Heavenly.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Enjoy and be sure to leave a comments so I know you have stopped by:)